The Writing Center is open to all University of Alabama students. We offer support and instruction tailored to students’ individual needs. Students can bring any kind of writing, whether it is personal, professional, or academic. We offer help for every stage of the writing process: brainstorming or understanding an assignment, researching a topic and using sources, revising a rough draft, and improving sentence-level style and clarity.
We are staffed by graduate and undergraduate students, who receive extensive and ongoing training. A typical writing consultation takes 30-50 minutes. Clients can make an appointment on our website, or try our walk-in service.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Writing consultations by appointment
- Walk-in writing consultations
- Online appointments for distance students
- Writing consultations by appointment: A typical writing consultation takes 30-50 minutes. Go to http://ua.mywconline.com to make an appointment.
- Walk-in writing consultations: Walk-in consulting is provided on a first-come, first-served basis. Walk-in consultations are available at 322 Lloyd Hall Monday-Thursday from 9 AM to 6 PM and Friday from 9 AM to 3 PM; and at Java City/Gorgas Sunday-Thursday from 7 PM to 9 PM.
- Distance consultations: The Writing Center offers support for all distance learners at UA. Distance tutoring is conducted via our online system, accessible at http://ua.mywconline.com. Distance learning appointments must be made at least one day in advance.
- Workshops: Our workshops review specific writing skills and strategies. Topics include summary/analysis, avoiding plagiarism, constructing arguments, and editing. Instructors can email email@example.com for scheduling.
- Location: Lloyd Hall 322
- Website: writingcenter.ua.edu
- Hours: Lloyd Hall (appointments and walk-ins) Monday-Thursday 9 AM to 6 PM and Friday 9 AM to 3 PM; Java City in Gorgas Library (walk-ins only) Sunday-Thursday 7 PM to 9 PM
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?