Each spring, an incoming freshman is selected as a Coca-Cola First Generation Scholar at The University of Alabama. The student is selected through a competitive interview process during their senior year of high school. This scholarship program is available only to incoming first year, in-state students.
The scholarship provides $5,000 a year, renewable for four years, provided that recipients maintain a 3.0 GPA.
Students who apply for the Coca-Cola First Generation Scholarship must:
- Be a first generation student, defined as a student whose parents have neither more than two years of post-secondary (after high school) education nor a post-secondary degree
- Be an Alabama resident
- Have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Demonstrate financial need
Application Steps for High School Seniors:
- Complete the UA Scholarship Application by January 15. Be sure to check the box that indicates you are interested in applying to the university’s first generation scholarship programs and complete the attached first generation scholarship program essay questions.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1.
- Participate in an interview with the Selection Panel in the spring semester.
Students selected as Coca-Cola First Generation Scholars must:
- Enroll in a designated UH 100 course during the fall semester
- Attend Honors Action
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Participate in all required activities, programs, and service projects
- Meet regularly with the First Generation Scholarships Program Manager