The Coca-Cola First Generation Scholarship program was established at UA in 2006. Since then, the Coca-Cola Foundation has donated $4 million to support first generation scholars at UA.
Each spring, an incoming freshman is selected as Coca-Cola First Generation Scholarship Program recipient at The University of Alabama. The student is selected through a competitive interview process during their senior year of high school. This scholarship program is available only to first year, in-state students.
The scholarship provides $5,000 a year, renewable for four years, provided that recipients maintain a 3.0 GPA.
Students who apply for the Coca-Cola First Generation Scholarship Program must:
- Be a first generation student, defined for this program as a student from a family with neither parents nor siblings that received any post-secondary (after high school) education
- Be an Alabama resident
- Have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Demonstrate financial need.
Application Steps for High School Seniors:
- Complete the UA Scholarship Application by January 15. Be sure to check the box that indicates you are interested in applying to the university’s first generation scholarship programs and complete the attached first generation scholarship program essay questions.
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1.
- Participate in a virtual interview with the Selection Panel in the spring semester.
Students selected as Coca-Cola First Generation Scholars must:
- Enroll in a designated UH 100 course during the fall semester
- Attend Honors Action
- Maintain a 3.0 GPA
- Participate in all required activities, programs, and service projects
- Meet regularly with the First Generation Scholarships Program Manager