The Speaking Studio is a campus wide resource designed to help students, faculty, and community partners improve their public speaking, presentation, and oral communication skills. We aim to help students clarify and craft effective messages, cultivate dynamic delivery, and calm public speaking anxiety. The Speaking Studio is the only service on campus staffed with trained public speaking consultants who facilitate the recording and immediate feedback of individual or group presentations.
To work with us students simply make an appointment via our website with one of our consultants, they can make appointments in increments of half an hour or longer as necessary. We will watch, film, and provide feedback to presentations both for solo speeches and for group presentations.
We also work with graduate students and faculty on a variety of presentation needs including research presentations, job talks, conference keynotes, etc.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Group and individual public speaking consultations: opportunity to practice and receive constructive feedback on presentation material, delivery, and strategic impact
- Presentation workshops: a series of classroom workshops to help educate students in the value of oral communication, strategic messages, dynamic delivery, and professionalism
- Presentation evaluations: a “Studio to Go” service in which we provide in time feedback as evaluators for class projects/presentations
- Public Speaking consultations by appointment: A typical consultation takes 30 minutes. We will watch, film, and provide feedback to presentations both for solo speeches and for group presentations. Go to https://uaspeaking.mywconline.com to make an appointment.
- Walk-in consultations: While walk-ins are welcome, we recommend that you schedule an appointment at least twenty-four hours in advance.
- Location: Reese Phifer Hall Suite 166
- Website: speakingstudio.ua.edu
- Hours: 9 AM-6 PM Monday-Thursday; 9 AM-3 PM Friday
STILL HAVE QUESTIONS?